Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Director's Note

When Matthew Hunt first asked me to read a play, which he wanted me to direct as a film, I was more than glad to sit down and read ‘Fall, Hot Rain’ by B.J. Castleman. It was great. I was enthralled, excited and finally surprised by the end. I wanted to direct. Only in my mind there was a problem. I wasn’t gay, a bigot, or a victim of bigotry… which is what the story is based on. So what right did a kind, compassionate heterosexual man have to direct this film?
Guilt is a funny thing, and at times a scary one. It manifests itself in insidious ways so that it guides and colours our actions without our knowing it. I asked myself why I wanted to direct this film. To advance my career? Yes. To finally direct my first feature film? Yes. To gain recognition and respect? Yes. Damn I felt guilty. I couldn’t sleep and thought constantly about how I wanted to direct but didn’t feel I had the right, yet I didn’t want to give up the opportunity, which only fed the guilt more. I reread the play and then it hit me – guilt. It’s not hard to see that ‘Fall, Hot Rain’ is thematically layered with guilt and the different forms it can take. Guilt is my connection to this story! That was my angle, my connection to this material. It would make ‘Fall, Hot Rain’ a universal film for everyone to connect with because it’s not news that we all experience guilt. And that is why I was able to direct this film- guilt free

No comments: